At Looking For Rent, ensuring we have happy tenants is our top priority. Below we have listed some frequently asked questions which we hope will help to answer some of your queries.

For any queries not answered below, please call the office on 0161 973 4541 or fill out our enquiry form

What do I require to rent a private let with Looking For Rent?


Once a suitable property has been found an application form must be filled out by all tenants over the age of 18. Application forms can be collected from the Looking For Rent office or sent out on request. Once completed the form should be submitted to the office along with the required paperwork.


Below is a list of the paperwork required to make an application for tenancy:

  • One form of photographic ID such as passport or drivers licence
  • Proof of Income (3 months’ payslips or letter from accountant if self-employed)
  • One recent bank statement
  • Proof of residence at current address (eg utility bill, council tax bill, university letter)
  • Students must provide proof of their university course such as a matriculation card or letter confirming a university place.

For any tenants who are not in full time employment, a guarantor application must be made. A guarantor is someone who would be willing to co-sign the lease and guarantee that they will pay in the event of rent defaults.

Many of our properties accept DSS tenants.  It is recommended that viewers confirm that the landlord would be willing to accept DSS payments before reserving a property. If you will be claiming DSS you will be required to provide proof of entitlement to benefits.


Applicants are required to provide two letters of reference. References can be from previous landlords or employers. Only once these have been received and accepted can the application go ahead.

Deposit and Rent

Once the application has been accepted the tenant must pay the first month’s rent and the deposit before the property can be handed over. The deposit in most circumstances is equivalent to the rental figure. In cases where the landlord has agreed to pets or smokers deposits may be higher. Deposit and rent must both be received before the lease is signed and keys are handed over. Tenants paying by BACS or by cheque must allow time for the money to clear, otherwise this could lead to delays in move in dates.

What if I don’t have the required paperwork?

At Looking For Rent we understand that paperwork can sometimes be hard to source in time for applying for a property. To fully assess a tenant’s suitability for a property we look for a full list of documentation. Applications that are missing any requested paperwork may not be accepted until this is provided, although in some cases alternatives may be accepted at the manager’s discretion. If you are unsure about any of the paperwork, contact our office to discuss the matter and our team will be able to help with any advice on how to source paperwork and what would be acceptable.

Who is responsible for repairs to my property?

Unless you are otherwise advised, all repairs should be reported directly to the Looking For Rent office where a member of our team will log your details and begin arranging the required repairs. Once permission for the repair to be carried out has been granted by your landlord, our team will be in touch to arrange a mutually convenient time and date for this to be done.

In the event that the repair is due to accidental damage by the tenant, they will be responsible for any costs incurred to resolve the issue.

How do I give notice to vacate my property?

To vacate your property and end your contract, you must give a minimum of 1 month’s notice. This must be given in writing to the Looking For Rent office by letter or email. Please note that if there are multiple tenants residing within your property, the notice must be given from all tenants.

In the event you are signed in to a fixed term contract, you cannot leave throughout this time. In the event that you have a change of circumstances and wish to leave during the duration of your contract, contact our office to arrange a meeting with your lettings manger who will discuss your options.